Over the weekend I had the chance to shoot a portrait series with the sexy Canon 5D Mark II. Let me just say that I am so in love with this camera. It makes going back to my XSI extremely disheartening.
The shoot took place in a field in the Kutztown countryside. Originally I had wanted to shoot in a patch of mustard weed, but then a field of bright yellow grass caught my eye. Since it was on someone's farmland, we went to the nearest farmhouse and were greeted by the cutest Amish man ever. He was very warm and generous and I could tell we had probably been the first human interaction he's had in quite some time. Thankfully, he granted us permission to shoot but was confused when we rejected his offering to "take objects" into the field to photograph.
"No, no. It'll just be the two of us."
"... oh."
The weather was daunting. It was drizzling and miserably cold, but I was determined. We managed to trudge through the grass and mud with my AB1600 and battery pack. Since it was windy, I didn't even bother bringing my umbrella (though one for my head would have been nice). The bare bulb ended up being a good choice anyway because it gave me great light contrast in the blades of grass and the shadows where much more defined and dramatic.
After returning from the shoot, Ross and I got trapped inside my car due to a nasty rainstorm. I decided to film a video of the water droplets and fog on my windshield also using the Mark II. According to Ross, this camera has better video quality than most high-end video cameras -- and it shows! Even with the crappy YouTube compression, the quality is amazing. I edited the video using iMovie HD. Music is by God Is An Astronaut.



That video was beautiful! My absolute absolute favorite part was when you started drawing on the window. So, so, so great!
ReplyDeleteWow wow wow, great shots and the video you did with God Is An Astronaut as the music, whaaaaaat - watched the whole thing and love it. I haven't shot video with mine yet and maybe I should... but I don't know the first thing about editing video, I'm all about PHOTOSHOP! WOOT!
ReplyDelete